Thursday, November 19, 2009

Graceling...


Disclaimer: I have read MANY Harry Potter novels by J.K Rowling and feel like this is the definition of fantasy literature. However I do not feel I would go so far as to call myself a "fan" of this genre.

This book was a very different read for me. I really like the approach Cashore took to this story, a young girl who is the protector of the KING. (Nice message to young females who are not so much in to make up but more into sports.) I think the book took a much different approach to the gender lenses than all the other novels we have read this semester. Katsa is a strong girl who has an ability to kill in a magnificent way. I think she is strong in this way yet she is just like any other teenage girl. She meets and eventually falls for a Po, a young prince. I really enjoyed reading about these two characters lives. Po, unlike her uncle, allowed Katsa to be herself. This is a fantasy novel with beautiful details of scenery.

I think teen girls can take a lot way from this book. Katsa strength and strong will made me want her to be victorious in all her endeavors. The development of this character is phenomenal Cashore does an excellent job.

As I stated before I am not a big lover of fantasy novels. After reading this book I would have to say I could understand why other love this genre.

Considering this is one of the first fantasy novels I have ever read cover to cover and it trickled some sort of "likness" in me I decided to browse over other fantasy novel titles to see if there were any others that looked like they could grab AND KEEP my attention. If you LOVE fantasy or if your like me and want to know more simply click here!!

No comments:

Post a Comment