Sunday, November 29, 2009

The Boyfriend list!!


This book really got me thinking.....

-Joshua (But he was more of a friend)

-Kyle (But that was just because I was bored)

- James (But he was really mean)

- Jason

- Jimmy

This book tells the story of young Ruby Oliver who begins to suffer from panic attacks, so her overzealous parents make her go see a shrink, Dr. Z. After talking to Ruby the shrink realizes a pattern; her attacks are all revolved around boys. Dr. Z suggests she write a list of all the boys she has ever liked. Roo does and then makes the biggest mistake of her life; throws it in the trash. The list gets out and Roo is in a big mess because of the information that all of her classmates now know.

This first person novel is an excellent one for young teens. It deals with issues all of us has been through or are terrified of experiencing. Losing your best friend, being lonely, and having a BAD social life. At times you really feel bad for Roo, she is in an unfortunate situation. I sat back and thought about what a predicament I would be in if I wrote out a list of boys who I had a crush on or ever secretly dated. This would be DETRIMENTAL to my social life. This is one of the major things that got me involved in this book. I had to know how it ended.

During my book talk the main thing I wanted to get across was a connection for boys to the book. I opened with having the students think about their personal boyfriend list and what people would think if the list got out. I found it was a very useful tactic because a few boys in the class said this got them interested in reading the book!



Who would be on your list?????

No comments:

Post a Comment